The Austin Parks and Recreation Department invites the public to decorate a holiday ornament as their favorite figure from Texas history. Brush Square Museums will be distributing salt dough “gingerbread cookie” ornaments and a variety of decorating supplies to participating historic sites all around Austin as part of the 3rd Annual Gingerbread History Heroes program.
Gingerbread History Heroes ornaments will be available for the public to pick up from participating sites December 2 through December 31. Past ornaments include Elisabet Ney, Lydia Mendoza, and Sam Houston. The program is free of charge for all participants. Keep an eye out for Gingerbread History Heroes at your favorite museums and cultural centers this December!
Participating sites include:
- Brush Square Museums (O. Henry Museum and Susanna Dickinson Museum)
- Asian American Resource Center
- Elisabet Ney Museum
- French Legation State Historic Site
- George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center
- Old Bakery & Emporium
- Park Ranger Station at the Zilker Caretaker Cottage