Thursday, September 9, 2021

National Preparedness Month: Make a Plan

Sep 08, 2021 10:07 am

Making a plan for what you and your family are going to do in a disaster is the first step to being prepared. It’s important that you take into account the specific circumstances of your family when deciding how to prepare. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to know which types of disasters could affect your area. Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated. Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.

There are some key questions to ask yourself as you get started planning.

  1. How will I receive emergency alerts and warnings?
  2. What is my shelter plan?
  3. What is my evacuation route?
  4. What is my family/household communication plan?
  5. Do I need to update my emergency preparedness kit?

Ready.gov has guides for all types of people and families to get you started on making a plan for you and your loved ones. To get started, go here: https://www.ready.gov/plan.